List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: kbabel's translation db
From:       Thomas Reitelbach <tr () erdfunkstelle ! de>
Date:       2006-09-10 15:24:58

On Sunday 10 September 2006 14:09, Nick Shaforostoff wrote:
> i wonder how many people use it.
> (excluding those who use only exact-match 'rough translation').
>
> this db engine causes all the instability (due to the berkeley backend),
> esp in trunk and my opinion is to replace it with simpler (for a start) db
> engine which uses qt sql interface (preferably sqlite) instead of switching
> the old "ugly and hard to maintain" db engine to sqlite

I was used to it some time ago, but then it suddenly stopped working for me :(
I guess that some kind of berkeley db update was the reason.
The db engine is very unstable and as such not very useful in it's current
state. IMO it needs a volunteer (which is not me -> missing programming
skills).

When the db engine was working for me, it was very useful and i used it on a
daily basis with several different DBs for different projects (LFS, KDE
branch and trunk and Licq). The db engine made it possible to use the diff
mode in a efficient and fast way. (compared to the file-diff mode, which is
horribly slow and often eats 100% CPU).

So i for myself would appreciate a more stable db engine very much!

Cheers,
Thomas

--
There are 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary, and those
who don't.