List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: About translating documents (from scratch)
From:       Krzysztof Lichota <krzysiek () lichota ! net>
Date:       2006-08-01 11:28:47

Franklin napisał(a):
> Hi list,
>
> Now I'm trying to translate the KDE docmessages.
>
> I have completed the FAQ's po files, and then I wanna try to rebuild the
> docbooks in my own language.
>
> However, I have no idea about how to build it.
>
> I used
>
> po2xml index.docbook faq.po > my.docbook
>
> where index.docbook is copied from /usr/share/doc/HTML/en/khelpcenter/faq/ (on
> my Mandriva system).  The file was created successfully. Then when I tried to
>
> meinproc my.docbook
>
> about.docbook:37: parser error : Entity 'kde' not defined
>> 。在到各個 &kde; 郵件論壇發問之前,請先詳細閱讀此份 <acro
>                       ^
>
> Then meinproc crashed with core dumped.
>
> It seemed that it cannot understand what &kde; means.
>

> Could anyone please give me some hints, about how to build the docbooks of my
> own languages?  Any documents about this is OK too.

Here is the recipe for generating documentation in stable branch:
1. Check out from SVN:
a) branches/stable/l10n/ (non-recursively)
b) branches/stable/l10n/$LANG
c) branches/stable/l10n/documentation
d) branches/stable/l10n/scripts

2. In branches/stable/l10n/ run: "./scripts/update_xml $LANG docname",
for example:
./scripts/update_xml pl kscd

3. Fix errors, if they appear (this is the most tricky part). To see
where in docbook error happens, you have to run
"./scripts/update_xml --nodelete $LANG docname", during normal
invokation generated docbook is removed in case of error.
Note that as docbooks are generated in some silly order, sometimes after
fixing error it is necessary to run update_xml script twice as first
time it is using previous (bad) docbook.
The most popular errors are incorrect entities (for example "&kde"
instead of "&kde;") and problems with CREDITS_FOR_TRANSLATORS and
ROLES_OF_TRANSLATORS. CREDIT_FOR_TRANSLATORS should be filled like this
(note the <para></para>, it is important):
ROLES_OF_TRANSLATORS should be filled like this:
<othercredit role=\"translator\">
<contrib>Translation</contrib>
</othercredit>

Fixing these errors requires some experience, you will get it after a
few generated docs ;)

4. Run ./scripts/autogen.sh, then go to directory $LANG and run ./configure.

5. Go to branches/stable/l10n/$LANG/docs/package/docname, for example:
branches/stable/l10n/pl/docs/kdemultimedia/kscd and run:
make
sudo make install

6. Now in Konqueror adress bar type: "help:kscd" and enjoy your new
created docs :) If you commit docs into SVN, the next day it should also
appear on http://docs.kde.org page.

HTH

Good luck! :)

	Krzysztof Lichota (Polish team coordinator)