List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [Fwd: Re: How are conflicts between rosetta and upstream
From:       Tom Albers <tomalbers () kde ! nl>
Date:       2006-07-25 17:30:07

Op dinsdag 25 juli 2006 17:53, schreef Adriaan de Groot:
> On Tuesday 25 July 2006 14:22, Yukiko Bando wrote:
> > An interesting pot file has been added to playground-utils.
> >
> > Name=KTU
> > Comment=Update translation
> >
> > "Fetch translations straight from KDE"
>
> KTU (not KUT, for language-technical reasons) was a little project by Tom
> Albers; it collapsed when the transition to SVN was made, and it wasn't
> really effective before then -- the fetched translations were too hard to
> get into a running KDE session.

You contributed as well Adriaan. I have adjusted it to SVN. Only some basic
things work right now.

I'm not very happy it is now placed in this Rosetta context. It is not a
counter attack on Rosetta. I still think the (mostly technical) Rosetta-KDE
relation should be improved. KTU can then be used to install that fantastic
translations you all make ;-)

The argumentation for creating it is mainly for new translators. When they
join the project and deliver a translation, they have to wait untill the next
minor kde release to see their translation (or they have to do complicated
things). Only then he can see bugs in the application translation (and wait
for the next minor release to see them fixed). With this tool this new
translator can instantly fetch and install the translation and see the
results.

This should improve motivation of the new contributor (maybe they even stick
around) and make the quality of the translations better.

Toma