List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Rosetta for Edgy and KDE [Was: Rosetta for Kubuntu Dapper and KDE]
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-07-17 10:37:07

Kevin Donnelly wrote:

> On Saturday 15 July 2006 19:44, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
>> The people who work with Rosetta don't tend to know much
>> about their numberous upstreams, that's what this whole
>> debate is about.
>
> Yes, the question is whose responsibility it is to make the
> connection.  I don't think it should be entirely the KDE
> side's ...

... nor the side of the individual (K)Ubuntu teams, at least not
the hard way of "What happened to our translations? Why are they
constantly overwritten?" and so on. Either way this would never
really work: Just imagine the hundred KDE language teams
explaining this over and over again to every newcomer or vice
versa -- even if they had the time and the nerve for this -- and
multiply this with all the other upstream stuff from GNOME,
Debian and so on.

IMO, there has to be a standard way of info about the whole
upstream/downstream connection to all language teams from the
Ubuntu project side. Also a way to keep upstream stuff clearly
separate from their own.

I think I suggested this now to Jonathan something like 3 or 4
times. No reaction so far.

Kind regards,

Thomas