Hi, Sebastian Heinlein (glatzor) from the german translation team of ubuntu asked me to forward this message to the list, since he is not subscibed. > Hi, > > at first I am a volunteer contributor to Ubuntu and I am not on the > payroll of Canonical - just to make clear that on the one hand I am not > too biased, but on the other hand that I cannot provide you with > Canonical internal stuff or in deep explanations of Rosetta. > > I would like to comment on some issues which have been raised on the > list: > > * Kde and Rosetta > > I think the general plan was to register KDE as a product in Rosetta, > giving commit access to the product's translations to the corresponding > KDE language team leader (a product is upstream in Rosetta). > > There is already a mechanism that allows to import the KDE translations > from your subversion repo into Rosetta automatically. But I don't know > the current development state. > > > * Adept: > > It seems that Adept uses a static build of libept in Dapper. This is why > it cannot load the translations during runtime. > > https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/adept/+bug/47181 > > I asked the package maintainer (who is also the upstream developer) to > comment on this bug. > > You can find bugs by searching the product/package in the distro and > then by choosing "bugs" from the left menu. > > https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/adept/+bugs > > > > * kdebluetooth translations > > There were several reasons: to much to do, simply forget to upload, > journeys (two weeks) and finally a bug in Rosetta. I would appreciate to > approve your not yet applied ubuntu-de membership, so that you can do > uploads for kde yourself. This would avoid depending on unreliable > people - like me :) > > > * Source code only with login: > > As a side note: Generally the source code has only to be made available > to the user of the software and not to the general public. You could > even decide to only ship it on a CD and not to publish it on the > Internet. > > You can get the source code by using apt-get source or > http://packages.ubuntu.com or http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu. > > You should file a bug report. > > > * Koffice > > I asked you to talk to Carlos on IRC, the main developer of Rosetta, > since you know much more about which translations are missing - I am not > even a KDE user. There is no Rosetta admin or developer in the German > translation team. So all we could do is forwarding this issue. > > > * New translators: technical barrier - quality > > You mix up some issues: quality assurance/new translators guidance and > the actually required technical effort for translating > applications/documents. > > The plan for edgy is to introduce a quality assurance framework in > Rosetta: improving the review process and the user interface and > establishing qa teams. > > There are a lot of people with good language skills. It would be quite a > shame to not make an effort to attract them for for the translation > work. Currently most translators have been geeks before - and this is a > very exclusive condition. Especially think of languages that haven't got > the wide user base as the German one. > > Regards, > > Sebastian