Kevin, I have added a this in the specs of the WordForge off-line translation editor (which will also make it to the on-line editor). Please feel free to add anything that you consider interesting to the specs in the wiki. http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/wordforge/off-line_translation_editor_specifications Javier Kevin Donnely wrote: > > >>Instead of the single program file you can also use a compendium of all >>rosetta translations that are extra to what is in the upstream, though >>first rosetta has to provide a convenient interface to get those updated >>strings. Instead of a single file you can apply this command then to the >>whole of the translation tree.... >> >>I guess a Kommander script could be easily built to do that. Anyone >>interested in having it? I could make a script like that. >> >> > >I'm not going to comment on Rosetta, because I already did so a couple of >months ago - basically, I think it's a great idea, but the implementation (eg >upstream integration, control, file segmentation etc) leaves a lot to be >desired. The Pootle/Debian collaboration seems a better bet. > >But I was very interested in your idea of a script or scripts to apply changes >to the whole translation tree. For instance, if I have decided that a word >is incorrect in a specific context, and needs to be replaced by another, what >do I do? At present, I just update it when I see it, which is not very >efficient. What do other teams do? > >Far better would be some sort of interface (ideally GUI) which searches all >files in the tree for this target word, and lists the msgids/msgstrs where it >occurs. You could then scan these, tick the msgstrs to replace, and have the >word replaced globally, and the po files saved. I can do File/Replace on a >single file easily enough, but doing this over the whole tree is not worth >it. KFileReplace will do a global Find/Replace, but it is a blunt tool for >this job, in that it only lists the words that were searched for, and not the >context of the words. A replace in these circumstances would be risky. To >look at the context, you have to open each file individually. > >Thierry Vignaud on the Breton team has done some amazing scripts in Perl >which basically look at any new commits, search for the exact same msgid in >the whole tree, and write the exact same msgstr there if the msgstr is empty. >The first time he ran this on the Welsh tree, nearly 10,000 translations were >added just like that, a big boost for a minority language team (especially >since the size of the KDE tree has grown 100% since we started in 2003). >Unfortunately I don't know enough Perl to be able to develop the scripts >further to allow the type of focussed search above, and some others. > >A couple of years ago, Pedro Morais on the Portuguese team did some useful >scripts in Python which did basic checking (for example, that the msgstr of a >msgid ending in a full stop also had a full stop). Some of these duplicated >some of the functionality in KBabel, but were still useful as standalones. > >I wonder is there no way we as a project can leverage these little bits of >brilliance that occasionally bubble up, so that the average plonker like me >can take advantage of them? A sort of Lionforge, where these things could be >deposited, looked at/used, suggestions for improvements made, etc. I would >actually be willing to sponsor somebody to do 10 hours work on a tool if that >means I can save 20 or 30, and it may be that others would too. > >If anyone else is vaguely interested in this idea, can we get a discussion >going, so that at least one positive thing will have come out of Rosetta? > > >