List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Helper scripts/GUIs [Was: Rosetta for Edgy and KDE]
From:       Kevin Donnelly <kevin () dotmon ! com>
Date:       2006-07-13 21:47:41

On Thursday 13 July 2006 13:39, Donatas G. wrote:
> This would be great. There do exist scripts that do translation tree
> migration/automatic translation and lots of other interesting stuff -
> see http://translate.sourceforge.net/

I remembered that just after I'd posted.

> However, there is no graphical utility to do those things that the
> translate-toolkit does, I would guess. Some of those scripts could be
> integrated into context menus of KBabel, but that is nothing like the
> app proposed above.
>
> What I had in mind was a simple frontend to translate-toolkit scripts or
> gettext commands done in Kommander - not the kind of complicated backend
> that you describe. Though it would certainly make the translation and
> project management processes easier.

Is it complicated?  It seems to me it's just read, list, mark, rewrite, but
then of course I'm not writing it!  But most of the programs in KDE are
surely a lot more complicated than this.

> I think the place to cooperate on those kinds of tools is
> http://translate.sourceforge.net/, this would then benefit not only KDE,
> but other free software projects as well. They have a mailing list as
> well...

Yes, good point.  I've subscribed.

> When I have spare time I will start working on the kommander frontend...

Something to look forward to.

--
Pob hwyl / Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly