List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re[2]: Red Card for Polish translation team
From:       "Renato Pavicic - Translator-shop.org" <renato () translator-shop ! org>
Date:       2006-07-03 14:32:40

Hello Dirk,

I've been following this "Red Card" discussion, and despite any
judgment on the subject "who did what", I will extend my support to
Polish translating team.

For following reasons:
1. No prior warning
2. No second warning
3. No final warning

Without above, anything else is not important.

I respect all programmers, but translating and localizing could be as
much as time and effort consuming as programming. If somebody cannot
respect this, then he/she should be given red card!

I am a sole member of Croatian team, with no programming knowledge,
just plain end-user. I am also professional translator, and when a
customer sends me about 10-20 changes, and then says that my work
"will not compile into this and that" - I don't work with that
customer any more.

And what if there is a problem with Polish files? Like, there is not
problem with any program? Then, what's with the bug fixes and stuff?
Do you see us "red card"-ing anybody for introducing 10 bug fixes per
month?

And, what kind of feedback is this anyway? "Dude, your translation is
not working. Good by" ?!?!? What if a programmer is presented with
such feedback? "Dude, your app sucks" . Well?

I think that issuer of red card should apologize and offer help to
Polish team to fix this errors. Because I don't believe there is
a sole end-user in the world that would ever give a red card to
programmer as a reward for HIS work.

Under such circumstances, Krzysztof Lichota's reply was kinda
expected.

Once a programmer makes his work public, he has to live with public
opinion. Once he makes it localizible, he has to work WITH translator,
and they BOTH have to live with public opinion!
Translation is a way to promote both the progammer and the translator.
Both. In the same time. On this we work together.

And finally, Dirk's comment:

Monday, July 3, 2006, 12:10:21 PM, you wrote:

> On Monday, 3. July 2006 11:33, Harald Sitter wrote:

>> takes probably _at least_ 30 minutes longer

> Boy, you're starting a discussion here about 30 minutes of wasted time?

> Case closed.

> Dirk

Man, how often I wish to waste only a 30 minutes.......

--
Best regards,
 Renato

mailto:renato@translator-shop.org