List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: XLIFF (was: Re: Options)
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2006-06-07 16:47:20

> [: Renato Pavičić :]
> Thanks for reply, but I knew all of that from before. I know the
> general idea, but after 4 years in the army, I hate generals.
>
> What I was wandering:
> [...]
> - PLEASE, no general idea, rule, "read there" or "take a look"

I can understand you feeling at a loss with all the translation formats,
but it can hardly be much better. Even XLIFF can only go so far; while it
would be nice for translators to deal only with XLIFF files, they (or
their translation software) still must know the quirks of the system in
which the translations are used. What is the argument format, can
arguments be reordered, what is context, how to give plurals, shortcut
marking, tags, etc.

Worse yet, some of these usage conclusions can be reached only by context,
so translation software can offer only heuristic checks. There comes in
translator's "knowledge of programming languages", as you succinctly put
it :)

I think many people on this list avoid getting into agitated state simply
by focusing their efforts on few enough environments.

> How many do I have to know? Following:
> - python
> [...]

Add to that JavaScript ;) Boy, you gonna hate me real soon now...

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)
Serbian KDE translation team