List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    kdeedu/kpercentage and percentage signs (again)
From:       Clytie Siddall <clytie () riverland ! net ! au>
Date:       2006-05-15 6:36:12

Hello everyone :)

I notice this is not a new issue, but the bug (83464) is reported
CLOSED.

kpercentage.pot in both trunk and stable _still_ has three strings
containing percentage signs which are marked c-format, and thus won't
pass msgfmt, no matter how the translator modifies the translated
string.

Translators who haven't encountered this exasperating situation
before, may waste a lot of time trying to solve it. I certainly did,
the first time I had to deal with it.

Interestingly, at least one other string in the same file contains a
percentage sign, but is not marked c-format, so isn't a problem. I
don't understand why all the strings aren't so treated.

I've added this information to the bug, but thought it useful to
mention it here as well, in case other translators encounter this
problem. I don't want people banging their heads on the keyboard over
this one: it's not our problem.

My team has just translated kpercentage in both stable and trunk, so
I've added and committed both files today, even though they can't
pass msgfmt because of the original string format. There's nothing I
can do to fix the problem, except report it, since we're not allowed
to modify the original strings at all.

So I hope our translations won't break the build because of not
passing msgfmt. :S

Việt hóa phần mềm tự do)