List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Any comment on breaking string freeze again?
From:       Erik =?utf-8?q?Kj=C3=A6r_Pedersen?= <erik () binghamton ! edu>
Date:       2006-05-08 10:27:55

Mandag 08. maj 2006 03:57 skrev Tom Albers:
> Could someone clarify what would be a problem? In all the years I've
> followed this list I can not recall any objections to breaking the string
> freeze, except when you are near a deadline.
>
> That means we can skip the hassle and lift the freeze alltogether?

The problems is that when a string is changed in a tiny way which has happened
so often, then every translation becomes fuzzy, and if it is released that
way the user does not see those as translated.

So when a hundred periods were added in koffice right before release those
hundred strings would have come out in English if they were not discovered
and fixed by the translators before release. I know this was a mistake, but
nevertheless, it illustrates the problem.

New strings do not present a similar problem. They were not there in the first
place and an English string does no more harm than  no string I suppose. It
is nevertheless preferable to have a period before release with complete
freeze so we get a chance of being completely translated at release.

Erik