List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Unicode and (keyboard) Shortcuts
From:       Guntupalli Karunakar <karunakar () randomink ! org>
Date:       2006-03-20 10:53:35

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 11:41:10 +0100
"Hrishikesh (हृ\ षीकेश मेहेंदळे)" <hashinclude@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I was wondering - how does KDE handle the "shortcuts" (keyboard
> accelerators, like Ctrl-O), when I'm using a non-latin language?
>
> At present, I have both Swedish and Hindi keymaps loaded. When I am
> using the Swedish keymap, the shortcuts (like Ctrl-O, Ctrl-P etc)
> work fine. Unfortunately, once I switch to Hindi keymap, all
> shortcuts stop working.
>
> If KDE handles shortcuts also in Unicode - then there is no
> problem, I can set shortcuts on Hindi letters, and things should
> work. If not, then there is no point setting shortcuts unless this
> issue is fixed.

as of now shortcuts in Hindi is not set, we are just using the
english shortcuts as speficied in original strings ( so  F for
&File  etc)
 What I have observed is shortcuts with  active dialogs (eg pressing
C on Cancel button with focus on it doesnt work),  and shortcuts with
Alt+ combination is not working , while  Ctrl+ ones are working fine.
ie while using Hindi map, pressing Ctrl+O brings up file open dialog
etc. so I guess we have missed something in keyb settings so that Alt
key isnt being properly used. will have to check on that.

Karunakar