List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Unicode and (keyboard) Shortcuts
From:       Gora Mohanty <gora_mohanty () yahoo ! co ! in>
Date:       2006-03-16 10:57:35

--- Hrishikesh (हृषीकेश मेहेंदळे)
<hashinclude@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was wondering - how does KDE handle the "shortcuts" (keyboard
> accelerators, like Ctrl-O), when I'm using a non-latin language?
>
> At present, I have both Swedish and Hindi keymaps loaded. When I am
> using the Swedish keymap, the shortcuts (like Ctrl-O, Ctrl-P etc)
> work fine. Unfortunately, once I switch to Hindi keymap, all
> shortcuts stop working.
[...]

The accelerator keys should work in any language, if the .po
translation file was correctly made. It can work with English
or other Unicode characters, depending on how the translator
set things up. Generally, as there are multiple Indian language
keyboard layouts, translators prefer to stick to the default
English accelerators. If it is not working for you in Hindi, the
chances are that accelerator keys were not enabled by the translator
of the application. If you let me know the name of the application,
I can take a look.

Regards,
Gora

P.S. Did you decide if you wanted to be the coordinator for the
     Marathi KDE localization process. We can help you get set up
     for this.