List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Style questions
From:       Rinse de Vries <rinsedevries () kde ! nl>
Date:       2006-02-27 9:51:26

Op maandag 27 februari 2006 04:11, schreef Clytie Siddall:

> 1.
> (a) Can I use other html tags/entities? For example, I want to use
> &lt; and &gt; for angle brackets around filenames (we do not use
> quotation marks like ' or " because they confuse the eye with so many
> combined diacritics), and I'd prefer to keep guillemots for actual
> quoted forms). I'd also like to be able to create lists (<ul> etc.)
> sometimes.
That really depends on the format of the strings that you translate.
Some strings accept the use of xml-tags, while others give unwanted/unexpected
behavior in the GUI (for example, in kdeprint I used to put the filename
between <b> and </b>, which resulted in not displaying the filenama and the
second part of the string in the dialog windows)

So if you use tags/entities in the translation, make sure that you test it
really good in the application to make sure that you don't get unexpected
behavior.

> (b) I'm a little confused about which characters should be input as
> entities, and which simply as part of the UTF-8 charset. For example,
> bullets and arrows. I have to change angle-brackets into entities,
> because of their use in tags, but I'm unsure about characters not
> used in html code.
I never use entities in the translations, always the actual characters (->, æ,
etc.) some characters need an escape character to get correctly parsed by
gettext, for example & should be &&, " should be \" etc..
Which characters need to be escaped is probably included in the translation
howto at http://l10n.kde.org

> 2.
> (a) Can I alter style tags? I've just encountered <u> styling, and
> that is contra-indicated for our language. Underlining obscures one
> of our diacritics, a dot under the vowel, thus confusing meaning
> (meaning in our language is distinguished by the use of tonal marks
> or diacritics, both single and combined). I would prefer to alter <u>
> to <b> or <i>. Is that OK?
I think you can.

> I've read the translation howto, my team-mate and I have both joined
> this list and our own, and we're negotiating our way through setting
> up SVN accounts and our team in general. Is there anything else we
> should be trying to do at this point? (I'm hoping you'll say, No, not
> at all. Have a cuppa and relax. :D )
well, you could also creat a website as home base for your team.
AFAIK http://l10n.kde.org offers webspace for translation teams.