List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Does source files need to be ASCII-7bit only?
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2006-02-03 11:19:00

On Monday 30 January 2006 14:54, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Am Montag, 30. Januar 2006 14:25 schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> > A Dilluns 30 Gener 2006 08:00, Stephan Kulow va escriure:
> > >
> > > No, that would be a bug then. UTF-8 should be fine
> >
> > You surely don't remeber this thread
> > http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=112059583414832&w=2
> >
> > IIRC The conclusion was that all people that don't use the patched and
> > special kde gettext will have problems when UTF8 chars are present.
>
> Hmm, I was not aware of this problem - I guess because I was on honeymoon
> when it was discussed :)
>

> But it's still a bug - kdelibs/ is not compatible with today's gettext.

Well, we cannot change that, unfortunately.

> What a bummer.

That is why we are switching the use of Gettext for KDE4. ;-)

As for KDE3, yes, you need the msgfmt of some old Gettext 0.10.x. where it is
still the old hash function. (Apart the patched xgettext if you want to
extract, you can use any other Gettext tools however. Scripty uses Gettext
0.14.x for the rest.)

> Greetings, Stephan

Have a nice day!