List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: l10n web site
From:       Krzysztof Lichota <krzysiek () lichota ! net>
Date:       2006-02-02 9:37:24

Federico Zenith napisaƂ(a):
> Hi, just to advertise, we Italians also have our own translation attribution
> system on our Web page:
>
> http://kde.gulp.linux.it
>
> as soon as I get the time to adapt a few things, I plan to make a svn
> repository of it, or making it available in some way.

Very nice, indeed :)
I hope it will be integrated in l10n.kde.org.

>> After it is implemented, I would suggest some system for automatic
>> reminding translators which files which are not fully translated are
>> assigned to the . For example twice a week it would send e-mail to
>> translator with list of not updated translations.
>
> We use a special page that extracts all files without complete translation.
> This is my one, for example:
> http://kde.gulp.linux.it/pacchetti.php?package=52&part=BOTH

I mean reminiding about translations which were already assigned to
translator. Translators tend to forget which files need update and when.
And if they are reminded it is bigger chance they will assign some of
their spare time to translation (or resign from this translation).

>> Next on my list is some interface to upload files for commit to SVN and
>> proofreading.
>
> We considered that, but it basically it turned out that it is easier if files
> are sent by email to some who have a SVN repository; this sets some
> elementary checks in place (like renaming from POT to PO). Or maybe we are
> just lazy ;-)
> Anyway, giving a PHP script write access on SVN is something I'd rather not
> do.

No, I mean some way of uploading file, but not putting it in SVN. It
would be put in SVN by coordinator when he reviews it.

> That's a really good idea. I'm thinking to implement that. However, for
> extragear applications, it is necessary to have a central repository where
> all developers should commit their changes. According to my experience,
> extragear developers sometime "forget" to mention new releases to
> kde-i18n-doc. Maybe a simple interface to add deadlines to the website, open
> to all users, may work better.

Yes, it is good idea.

Another interesting area would be to have some way of pointing out which
branch should be translated for extragear - some extragear applications
are both in stable and trunk.

>> One more idea - faster updates of .po files stats - triggered by SVN
>> commit, not generated once a day, as it is done now.
>
> This is not possible with our current architecture, it would be scandalously
> abusive of our hosts' CPU power.

It does not have to be immediate action when commit is made. I am
thinking about putting request to process the file in some queue and
processing it at later time, when there are spare resources.
We could even add some delay (for example 30 minutes) before file is
processed, so that many subsequent updates do not trigger many activities.
BTW. Current system on i18n.kde.org has to process all changes anyway,
it just does it in one day intervals.

Another interesting solution would be to update stats based on
differences between revisions of changed file. It should be doable.

>> Currently, koffice on stable branch is together with koffice, everything
>> on trunk is together, and, most important, *there is no extragear in
>> stable*. Lack of extragear stats on stable means that my translators do
>> not have clear view of the state of translations and cannot fetch
>> translations easily - I have to send them files by e-mail.
>
> The system we have (admittedly a bit kludgy on the developer's side...) allows
> users to just click-and-forget on the name of the file they want, and get the
> file from the correct branch via WebSVN. This, provided some administrator
> actually set the correct branch; it can be set for entire packages or single
> files, and we have "magic buttons" to put all main KDE files into stable or
> trunk.

That's really great :) Why haven't you shared it with us earlier? ;)

Regards

	Krzysztof Lichota (Polish team)