List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: l10n web site
From:       Federico Zenith <zenith () chemeng ! ntnu ! no>
Date:       2006-01-31 8:54:28

Alle 09:27, martedì 31 gennaio 2006, Krzysztof Lichota ha scritto:
> Nicolas Ternisien napisał(a):
> > Hello everybody !
> > For example, I will certainly, in the future, ask if translators could
> > be interested by a assignation system of PO files of translation
> > teams. I know, that the French team already uses this kind of system,
> > to be sure that 2 persons do not translate the same file at the same
> > time (look at http://fr.i18n.kde.org/apps/wip-apps.php if my english
> > is too bad to be understood ;-)
> > This system, using l10n.kde.org could be integrated, to be used by all
> > teams which are interested in. This feature is only an example, so if
> > you have other ideas, please tell us.

Hi, just to advertise, we Italians also have our own translation attribution
system on our Web page:

http://kde.gulp.linux.it

as soon as I get the time to adapt a few things, I plan to make a svn
repository of it, or making it available in some way.
We have:

* Introduction and short informative material for new translators;
* More detailed material on a wiki;
* List of translators with photo, email (entity-masked to spambots), bio and
number of files attributed;
* Own statistics
* Attribution of translator and reviewer (the review system is still in
"testing") to each file
* File-transfer request handling
* Handling of current file tag

It is based on a LAMP server graciously hosted by Pisa's LUG (the "GULP")

> After it is implemented, I would suggest some system for automatic
> reminding translators which files which are not fully translated are
> assigned to the . For example twice a week it would send e-mail to
> translator with list of not updated translations.

We use a special page that extracts all files without complete translation.
This is my one, for example:
http://kde.gulp.linux.it/pacchetti.php?package=52&part=BOTH

> Next on my list is some interface to upload files for commit to SVN and
> proofreading.

We considered that, but it basically it turned out that it is easier if files
are sent by email to some who have a SVN repository; this sets some
elementary checks in place (like renaming from POT to PO). Or maybe we are
just lazy ;-)
Anyway, giving a PHP script write access on SVN is something I'd rather not
do.

> Another idea - keep a global calendar for all projects with time of
> message freezes and release dates. Such system would generate
> notifications for assigned translator (and translation coordinator) when
> freeze period starts and a few days before release date. For example:
> KTorrent developer could enter that it is going to freeze messages in
> ktorrent.po on stable branch on January 2nd, 2006 and release is going
> to be January 21, 2006. 3 days before release system would send
> notifications to team coordinator if the file is not translated (so that
> he is able to assign it to someone else).

That's a really good idea. I'm thinking to implement that. However, for
extragear applications, it is necessary to have a central repository where
all developers should commit their changes. According to my experience,
extragear developers sometime "forget" to mention new releases to
kde-i18n-doc. Maybe a simple interface to add deadlines to the website, open
to all users, may work better.

> One more idea - faster updates of .po files stats - triggered by SVN
> commit, not generated once a day, as it is done now.

This is not possible with our current architecture, it would be scandalously
abusive of our hosts' CPU power.

> But it is distant future. I think the first thing to do is to split
> translation stats into some submodules (for both stable and trunk
> branches): - KDE
> - extragear
> - koffice
> - others (playground, etc).

We actually have that in place.

> Currently, koffice on stable branch is together with koffice, everything
> on trunk is together, and, most important, *there is no extragear in
> stable*. Lack of extragear stats on stable means that my translators do
> not have clear view of the state of translations and cannot fetch
> translations easily - I have to send them files by e-mail.

The system we have (admittedly a bit kludgy on the developer's side...) allows
users to just click-and-forget on the name of the file they want, and get the
file from the correct branch via WebSVN. This, provided some administrator
actually set the correct branch; it can be set for entire packages or single
files, and we have "magic buttons" to put all main KDE files into stable or
trunk.

Cheers,
-Federico