List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    l10n web site
From:       Nicolas Ternisien <nicolas.ternisien () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-01-30 19:53:12

Hello everybody !

I'm working since a couple of months on the refactoring of
http://i18n.kde.org website, which is going to be renamed to
http://l10n.kde.org, following big changes on the SVN repository. The
i18n web site was maintained (and continue to be !) by Claudiu Costin,
who accepted my help to modify in deep this web site.

This refactoring, for the moment, mostly modify scripts, pages, style
and use the KDE PHP framework. As you can already see, this web site
is nearly finished and there are no main differences between features
of this site and the current one. In fact, I hope this site will be
the beginning of new ideas that people could have to improve
translation and internationalization processes in KDE project.

Claudiu and other administrators of i18n.kde.org web sites already
done a lot of job, and this job has been integrated in l10n.kde.org.
Do not hesitate to contact us if you think a feature could be added to
this web site, I will do my best to develop it and improve
l10n.kde.org.

For example, I will certainly, in the future, ask if translators could
be interested by a assignation system of PO files of translation
teams. I know, that the French team already uses this kind of system,
to be sure that 2 persons do not translate the same file at the same
time (look at http://fr.i18n.kde.org/apps/wip-apps.php if my english
is too bad to be understood ;-)
This system, using l10n.kde.org could be integrated, to be used by all
teams which are interested in. This feature is only an example, so if
you have other ideas, please tell us.

Before releasing it (and maybe replace the i18n.kde.org link in the
KDE.org homepage), there is something that is not done for the moment,
and need to be first. The old web site uses a dedicated CVS server to
store its content. The l10n.kde.org uses now the official SVN server
of KDE. Many translation teams have their own web sites, available in
a subdomain of i18n.kde.org. Of course, these web sites will also be
available in the l10n.kde.org (it's not right for the moment, but it
will be soon).
The old CVS server uses different accounts, to allow team modifying
their web sites. These accounts need to be recreated, for those who
are interested, in the KDE SVN repository, of course if KDE admins are
ok, and need to be restricted to their own subfolder.

(These web sites are currently in
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/www/areas/l10n/teams/, but they can be
moved if necessary).

I would like to know if KDE admins are ok, and I would also know who
needs a SVN account,  among translator teams. (see
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/misc/applysvnaccount.php for
more information).

PS: Do not be frightened if you see that the SVN copy of your local
web sites is unsynchronized, they will be synchronized as soon as SVN
account will be created.

Thanks by advance.

Nicolas Ternisien.