List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Message Disposition Notification
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2006-01-25 7:22:55

On Tuesday 24 January 2006 07:31, Pablo de Vicente wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I think that Kmail has a string which prevents usability when trying to
> switch on/off message receipts.
>
> I have been contacted by people in my job asking me how they can turn
> on/off this feature. I was a bit confused when I did not find this option
> when looking for it at first. Then I found it is related to MDN (Message
> Disposition Notification).
>
> I am not a native english speaker, but MDN is nonsense for me. I would even
> understand "Regulation of Message Notification" or something similar
> although I dislike it. I know MDN is RFC 3798, but its name from the point
> of view of usability is null. Do you think that normal users understand
> what Message Disposition Notification is?.
>
> Is there a way to make the original english name more usable?. Perhaps I
> should open a bug so that kmail developers find an alternative?.

I think that you should try to contact the KMail developers. As it is a
technical text, changing it might give problems for user expecting exactly
that name. So perhaps a balance must be found between the technical name and
a user-friendly description.

Anyway there is a little time before the next message unfreeze...

> I am about to completely change the spanish translation, which by the way
> was a literal translation, because it makes no sense in our language.
>
> Pablo.

Have a nice day!