List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Documentation, take 2
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2006-01-07 21:06:32

On Saturday 07 January 2006 17:02, Erik Kjær Pedersen wrote:
> Torsdag 05 januar 2006 11:24 skrev Nicolas Goutte:
> > > 2. trunk is never frozen, for docs or for gui.
> >
> > I do not think that "never" is possible. At most it can be reduced to a
> > minimum but I do not think that it can be always avoided.
>
> The point was supposed to be that nothing gets released without having been
> through stable where it is frozen, so I do not understand your point.

My point is to avoid that freezing trunk/l10n will again be a surprise like it
seems to have been last time.

> > This would mean that smaller translation teams would never catch up, as
> > there will always be new stuff to translate. However perhaps it is a
> > drawback that we have to accept.
>
> I am not sure what smaller translation teams means, do you mean smaller
> than one member like the Danish one.

As far as I can see, you are quite active.

But there are teams who do not seem to have continuously time to look after
the translations in KDE.

> As far as I can tell the Swedish team
> has little more than one member too.

> There will always be stuff to
> translate in trunk, but you can certainly catch up in stable which is what
> matters since that is what gets released

Doing so means to be able to plan and to work during a certain number of hours
between each release on KDE. If a team cannot work between a release, that
makes extra work (which has not existed in stable KDE versions before KDE
3.5).

> > I fear that this is not going to work. In the two "unfreeze" weeks,
> > nobody has ported to KDE 3.5.x the up-to-date documentation that was in
> > trunk.
>
> Well obviously the developers have to be educated that the system is that
> everything goes to stable at the moment of freezing for this to work. I
> believe somebody suggested we should make a proposal on the developer list.

The developers will probably tell you that the documentation is mainly the job
of the documentation team.

> It may be hard for the developers to understand, but one of the experiences
> I had was that digikam all of a sudden showed up in stable. I translated it
> and got a letter from a developer, that this was something that would
> probably never get released. I am not able to remember all the different
> possibilities for the different programs.

However Digikam is an extragear application. So if it shows up in stable, then
it means that it is stable. (Good, the plan to release stable extragear
applications in one block seems not to have gone forward compared to the time
when branches/stable/l10n was created.)

> kdvelop apparently at the moment
> exists in a development version in stable and in an undefined version in
> trunk. I just noticed that kwrite is much bigger in stable than in trunk.
> Why is that.

I do not know if you mean the l10n modules or the KDE modules themselves.

If you mean the KDE modules in trunk, do not forget that KDE4 under way. So
you might have everything from nobody working on an application for KDE4 to a
very intense development for an application in KDE4.

> Obviously this can not be made to work without discussion with the
> developers, but I do think my proposal would be a big improvement on the
> present situation that at best can be descrobed as confusing, and if I
> understand Lauri correctly is actually harmful for the documentation
> writers.

Sorry but I do not really see where there would be a confusion that would be
developer-related.

> Erik

Have a nice day!