List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Documentation, take 2
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2005-12-28 14:23:51

On Wednesday 28 December 2005 01:19, Erik Kjær Pedersen wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 December 2005 17:03, Lauri Watts wrote:
> > If in a few months time, when momentum has really moved to 4.x, it's
> > stable enough people can run it (you can't document something you can't
> > run).  We can take a look every month or so, and see how things are
> > shaping up, we can mark specific documents that shouldn't be backported
> > (for a start there's a DTD version change coming up, it'll be very simple
> > to determine which are 4.x targeted and which are 3.x targeted once that
> > happens.)
>
> I would like to return to this issue. The way I think we should do it is as
> follows
>
> 1. trunk should never be frozen, and all documentation should be developed
> in trunk.
>
> 2. Every so often we should open for moving the documents in trunk back to
> stable, as e.g. right after every release.
> Nobody has any use of obsolete
> documentation be it translated or not
>
> The only drawback is that it is not really possible to write documentation
> for say 3.* and 4.* at the same time, but why would you want to do that
> anyway.
> I have to say I dislike the "undefined" status. éHow am I supposed
> to be able to remember that "the documentation in digikam is never going to
> be released". Why is it there then.
>
> Erik

I think that we should first wait for the feedback of what was decided before
deciding again new stuff.

At first glance, the documentation "unfreeze" at an holiday period was not a
great idea, as it has put everybody under pressure to write documentation.

So let's see how will be the continuous improving in trunk (but first we have
to update trunk for the KDE modules that were not updated).

Have a nice day!