List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Documentation, take 2
From:       Erik =?iso-8859-15?q?Kj=E6r_Pedersen?= <erik () binghamton ! edu>
Date:       2005-12-08 23:28:15

So here is a concrete suggestion.

There really is no point in translating outdated docbooks. Should it happen
that a docbook describes a feature of the future that is better than being
completely obsolete.

So docbooks should only be translated one place, in trunk.
I would do away with home/kde/branches/stable/l10n/templates/docmessages
and home/kde/branches/stable/l10n/xx/docmessages
but keep home/kde/branches/stable/l10n/xx/docs
for the language xx.
When I have finished translating some docbooks in trunk, I would then backport
them to home/kde/branches/stable/l10n/xx/docs

If I am very far behind it is actually not an advantage to have the
documentation there, so I could remove the docbooks when I am very far
behind.

In trunk the tag should be moved to the present stage of the docbooks once a
week, and then immediately the pot-files should be produced and the merging
should be done. It is quite frustrating when the pot-files and the docbooks
are out of synch.

This way the docbooks never would have to be frozen, but they could do
something similar with the English docbooks, namely have them two places and
only occasionally backport.

Another problem is the problem with koffice and the extragear programs.
You can never introduce a new entity because there is no way to get that new
entity put into the old versions of kdelibs that they only want to depend on.
Entities are good because they give uniformity to the docbooks.
Maybe that could be solved by having po2xml expand the entities when the
translated docbooks get produced.

Erik