List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Can I commit a fix for a typo for KDE 3.5?
From:       Anne-Marie Mahfouf <annemarie.mahfouf () free ! fr>
Date:       2005-11-14 13:24:42

On Monday 14 November 2005 02:26, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Dilluns 14 Novembre 2005 01:21, Anne-Marie Mahfouf va escriure:
> > On Sunday 13 November 2005 17:40, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > A Diumenge 13 Novembre 2005 23:28, Anne-Marie Mahfouf va escriure:

> > > The thing is that if you update the english text all other languages
> > > get their translated marked as fuzzy, that effectively means
> > > untranslated until someone goes there and unfuzzies it again, so you
> > > improve english "a bit" and make other all languages go untranslated,
> > > obviously not a good balance imho.
> > >
> > > Albert
> >
> > But they are marked "fuzzy" while in fact translated correctly.
> > Just unfuzzy them for 3.5.1. For the user and for KDE I'd say it's best
> > to fix en for 3.5  and get a fuzzy message (which will affect
> > statistics?) than to do nothing. In that case where only fuzzyness is
> > involved and not "real" translation.
>
> So you prefer to get it right for English and untranslated for Spanish,
> German, Danish, Swedish, Catalan, Portuguese, etc. etc. etc. ???
>
> fuzzyness effectively MEANS THE SAME as untranslated

well then as someone suggested, the same way that Mandrake uses should be
used, i.e run a script not to generate any fuzzy in that case.
In that case, the string is currently correctly translated in all languages.
So fixing "chose" to "choose" in en will get it untranslated == fuzzy for all
other languages. It's just quite unbelievable.

I find all that very disappointing...

Anne-Marie