List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: KGeography needs your help
From:       Marek Laane <bald () starman ! ee>
Date:       2005-11-12 14:01:29

Ühel kaunil päeval (laupäev, 12. november 2005 15:27) kirjutas Albert Astals
Cid:

> > Albert: One way of cutting down the size might be to review whether we
> > need repeating entries (eg entries for a country in the Europe section,
> > and the same entries in the World section).  I vaguely recall a
> > discussion 6 months ago about adding the .kgm qualifiers for the entries
> > (I think the reason was to disambiguate identical placenames?), but this
> > leads to bloat in the file. Would it not be better to get rid of the .kgm
> > entries, and disambiguate via additions to the name (eg Paris (Texas) and
> > Paris (France)?
>
> I disagree, i mean, if you are in Europe map, you don't want to get Paris
> (France) as a string, you only want Paris, imagine you where in a tellme
> the capital of and you get
> Tellme the capital of France:
> Madrid
> London
> Paris (France)
> Moscow
>
> :-D
>
> Albert

Well, these additions has to be for translators (comments), I think - there
may be (and there is!) languages which use different translation e.g. for
Paris (Texas) and Paris (France). As in your example: if there is Paris, then
in Estonian there is just no right answer, but if there is Pariis (note
difference - second "i"), then, of course, it's right answer.

Marek Laane
Estonian translator