List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: KGeography needs your help
From:       Kevin Donnelly <kevin () dotmon ! com>
Date:       2005-11-12 12:38:15

On Saturday 12 November 2005 10:16, Malcolm Hunter wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 Aug 2005 19:30, you wrote:
> > Ok, as i've gathered from nobody updating their translations for
> > kgeography and from a few people already commenting me either on the list
> > or via a private mail that the .po size is too big.
>
> Any chance you could split the file into two parts? One requiring
> translation, the other only if required for the translator's language.

Malcolm: This is a seductive possibility, and should probably be done, but I
would have thought that most of the file needs translating anyway, if only to
regularise orthography.

Albert: One way of cutting down the size might be to review whether we need
repeating entries (eg entries for a country in the Europe section, and the
same entries in the World section).  I vaguely recall a discussion 6 months
ago about adding the .kgm qualifiers for the entries (I think the reason was
to disambiguate identical placenames?), but this leads to bloat in the file.
Would it not be better to get rid of the .kgm entries, and disambiguate via
additions to the name (eg Paris (Texas) and Paris (France)?

--

Pob hwyl / Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly

www.kyfieithu.co.uk - Meddalwedd Rhydd yn Gymraeg