List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Forewarning: need a new message for KBabel
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2005-10-23 14:54:37

Unfortunately it seems that we will need a new user-visible message in KBabel.

The extact string is not decided yet. It is of the kind:
"Context (Do not translate)".

(Currently, in the proposed patch, it is:
"\n>>>>> Do not translate below this line, context inserted by KBabel:\n" )

The background is that the current developement version of Gettext knows
contexts now. This means that such a Gettext context could be used in KDE4
instead of the KDE-specific context.

So we are trying to add a basic support of it in KBabel of KDE 3.5 (in the
last "minute") so that translators can translate (even if not comfortabily)
such PO files also with KDE 3.5(.0) and the current stable version of Gettext
(assuming that not all translators have the choice of which version of KBabel
there are using).

(Of course, this is to avoid to lose again a few more small teams due to
"technical knock-out".)

To avoid potential misunderstandings:
- KBabel in KDE 3.5.x does not support it yet. (The editor is currently only
having a hack. A somewhat cleaner solution is being made. The catalog manager
is currently a major problem.)
- KDE4 is not converted to this new PO file format yet.
- It will not affect the translations for KDE 3.5.x.

Have a nice day!