List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: New workgroup for better coordination
From:       Olaf Jan Schmidt <ojschmidt () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-09-07 21:35:30

Hi Tom!

Sorry for breaking the thread - I am not subscribed to the kde-i18n-doc list.

> I've a couple of questions. I would like to know what this coordinator in
> terms of translations will do. Can you give some concrete examples about
> what his of her tasks would be?

The task of the representative(s) would be:
a) Being a possible contact point for people working on other areas of KDE,
for example if the technical workgroup wishes to have feedback on a suggested
release schedule timing, then it can contact the i18n representative(s) who
would then have the task to contact the translation teams about this question
(e.g. by posting the question on this mailing list)
b) Forwarding information for possible funding (e.g. translators' meetings) to
the KDE e.V. board (via the HCI workgroup)
c) Representing the translation teams in the HCI workgroup to ensure that
issues important to the translators are not forgotten
d) Informing the kde-i18n-doc list about the what goes on in the HCI workgroup
e) Keeping track of the people involved with translation efforts (which teams
exist, who is leading them, etc), so that they can be contacted for a) and b)
f) Being a contact point for people wishing to set up a new translation team
(in addition to the kde-i18n-doc list)

> You stated that it is not a discussion group, so  I'm a bit confused about
> what its purpose is... And would it not be logical if the i18n coordinator
> is involved / the representative.

I simply meant that everything that is relevant to translation efforts will
still be discussed on kde-i18n-doc. The HCI workgroup has the purpose to
coordinate between the existing lists, not to replace them. For this reason
it is not necessary that every translator joins that workgroup, but it is
very important to have several translators in the workgroup.

> Does that mean only KDE e.V. members can join?

No, we cannot (and don't want to) limit this to KDE e.V. members, especially
since we have far too few translators in the KDE e.V.

Olaf