List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: commit policy
From:       Heiko Evermann <heiko.evermann () gmx ! de>
Date:       2005-08-31 20:08:39

Hi Claudiu, hi everyone,
>   Not necessary. I'm for a flexible entry level for new teams, so Heiko
> limits are good. But for next KDE stable release, essential limits should
> be met or, at team coordinator request, the language can be released with
> main KDE if it's for getting special attention from speakers of that
> language. This happened in the past and is encouraging.
If you mean with "essential" that all 4 limits should be met, then you bring a
lot of projects into trouble that have been shipped so far. For Low Saxon we
have translated some files of kdebase. We currently have about 40%. And I
must really say that
1) I do not consider most of the other files to be important for a translation
2) those other files are really difficult.

Reason: those files contain all of kcontrol and kcontrol contains a lot of
very technical stuff for which we do not have words in Low Saxon so far.
Some examples
* "Unexpected server response to %1 command.\n"
* "Your SMTP server does not support TLS. Disable TLS, if you want to connect
without encryption."
* "Your server does not support sending of 8-bit messages.\n
Please use base64 or quoted-printable encoding."

We have found (or coinded) quite a number of technical words so far, but
tranlating "quoted-printable encoding" is out of the question at the moment.

I think that quite a number of other languages has those problems, too.

So far we have not worked through those files and nobody complained. Besides:
some time ago I added code to KLocale that allows the user to mix
translations. In the case of minor languages you usually have some other
language that most of these people know well, in our case: German. So if you
really want translated strings for all this technical stuff you can get it
from the de translation.

I would therefore propose to think about some othre limits.
* define precicely which files you really need, do not enforce the rest of
kdebase
* add some other important stuff like Kontact/KMail.

I think that would be more important than insisting on a huge percentage in
kdebase.

Kind regards,

Heiko Evermann