List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: commit policy
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2005-08-26 13:59:47

On Friday 26 August 2005 15:02, Jens Herden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > the team coordinator for Khmer language did not get a SVN account yet
> > > because kdebase should be translated at least 80%.
> >
> > The current policy for translation coordinators is to give them a SVN
> > account when the language has been accepted into the l10n module.
> >
> > As far as I know, the Khmer translation has not been accepted yet.
>
> I guess I am confused about this. It is not clear for me at what stage a
> translation is accepted.

As far as I have understood Claudiu Costin, he means reaching the criteria
defined at the bottom of:
http://i18n.kde.org/stats/gui/trunk/essential.php

75% kdebase.po, 90% kdelibs.po, 75% desktop_l10n.po (former
desktop_kde-i18n.po), 75% desktop_kdelibs.po

There are also more quality criteria of the first files:

The translations must pass the msgfmt test:
msgfmt -o /dev/null --check yourfile.po
(or the similar KBabel tests).

In kdelibs.po, the left-to-right or right-to-left direction must be clearly
given. (There are two entries: one for KDE, one for Qt).

The files must use UTF-8.

No contradiction copyrights, no "curious" comments, at least an author or a
copyright for each translation file, no CR/LF (carriage return/line feed)
line ends and the msgid with the empty name must be correctly "translated",
i.e. the header must be correctly filled.

(That is the list that I have in my mind right now. I hope that I have not
forgotten something important.)

> I see some languages which do not fullfill the 80%
> rule but are in SVN.

In the past, the criteria for entering CVS (long before it became SVN) were
indeed more relaxed. However in the meantime, we have also many translations
that are not or only barely maintained.

> And I see that Khmer is already in the list of teams.

That is because somebody claimed that he will translate it. (So the person
could try to get more volunteers to start the project.)

> I know that Sophon send already the first files with translations to
> someone, so I will wait for the reply to this mail.

(...)

Have a nice day!