List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: KGeography needs your help
From:       Gregory Mokhin <mokhin () bog ! msu ! ru>
Date:       2005-08-12 16:24:50

Chusslove Illich wrote:
>>[: Krzysztof Lichota :]
>>I think it should rather be solved on level of PO files, instead of
>>names of all countries with all forms. This file would be loaded by all
>>applications which need country names (for example KGeography, kcontrol,
>>etc.) and proper form would be chosen.
>>[...]
>>The same approach should be used for names of colors, months, etc.
>

> I agree (I mentioned it in some previous post), but Gregory insisted :) And
> it was nevertheless instructive to show, since it might come usefull in
> some cases.
>
> Or say we are slow with the PO file solution, so Gregory just does it with
> a script file until the PO is done and propagated throughout. Than he just
> slightly modifies his form generating script to produce a PO instead of
> script file.

My idea was that managing translations with po files is easier than
with anything else. Writing scripts having only one po file is easier
than having countries.po, months.po etc.

But actually it would be wise to have a more flexible solution, like
an xml-based file, that could be transformed into po or scm file or
whatever KDE gurus find necessary.

Regards,
Gregory