List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: KGeography needs your help
From:       Krzysztof Lichota <krzysiek () lichota ! net>
Date:       2005-08-12 7:14:36

Chusslove Illich wrote:
> Now, if you have those forms of same word scattered over several PO files,
> and you (properly) wan't to solve it in one place, the catch is that the
> app wouldn't take your special PO file. But this is not a problem :)
>
> As you said, from the input you would *generate* the PO file, but there is
> no reason to do so. Remeber, whenever PO file is loaded, scripting system
> looks if there is corresponding script file (like kdelibs.po and
> kdelibs.scm) and loads it if present. That .scm file can in turn load
> other .scm files. Now, one of those other files can be the one with forms
> that you automatically generate. You could generate a file like this:
>
> (forms-of Greece  genitive Greecee  dative Greecei ...)
> (forms-of Italy  genitive Italye  dative Italyi ...)
> (forms-of Spain  genitive Spaine  dative Spaini ...)
>
> You could call it forms.scm and install it under
> $KDEDIR/share/locale/ru/LC_SCRIPTS/kdelibs/forms.scm. Then, to use it in
> eg. KGeography, in $KDEDIR/share/locale/ru/LC_SCRIPTS/kgeography.scm you
> would just add one line:
>
> (load "kdelibs/forms.scm")
>
> Now in kgeography.po you can use, just as before, "The capital of
> $[genitive %1]:", but you don't have to do any scripting for messages
> "Greece", "Italy", "Spain", etc.

I think it should rather be solved on level of PO files, instead of
names of all countries with all forms. This file would be loaded by all
applications which need country names (for example KGeography, kcontrol,
etc.) and proper form would be chosen.

This would save duplication of work if any other application needs this
kind of information.

The same approach should be used for names of colors, months, etc.

Regards

	Krzysztof Lichota (Polish team)