List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: KGeography needs your help
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2005-08-05 0:48:08

> [: Nicolas Goutte :]
> The problem of this is that we have no tool. So every translators would
> need to know a script language to be able to translate.

For those who don't need or want to get into scripting, *nothing at all*
changes. Translation tools don't change, organization doesn't change,
repository operations don't change, nothing.

For those who do need scripting, still almost nothing changes. That is
because huge majority of the messages don't need scripting, and then
scripting doesn't show its head in any way. And for cases where scripting
is used, one can easily use combination of whatever translation tool and
text editor to get the job done (as I have been experimenting till now).

The fact that very few messages need to be scripted also means that very
few people are needed to do it. I would say definitely not more than one
person per team, and possibly even one per few teams. All other
translators should only know to keep off the scripted message when they
see one (and it would be very striking in appearance, much more than
current context info or plural is :)

> (Also this would not bring KDE in the direction back to Gettext and not
> even in the direction of XLIFF but in a totally different direction,
> again its own.)

From the point of view of the message catalog, scripts don't exist; they
are just parts of messages, the same way plural handling and context info
currently are. That is, with no changes to scripting system at all, one
can use either current, full Gettext, XLIFF, or any other format.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)
Serbian KDE translation team