List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Fwd: doc or UI?
From:       Lauri Watts <lauri () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-06-28 9:10:23

On Tuesday 28 June 2005 09.39, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> Drat, sent this to the request-list. Need to wake up.
>
> <bangs head on keyboard yet again>
>
> Begin forwarded message:
> > Hello everybody :)
> >
> > As a very new (still shrink-wrapped) KDE-vi translator, I'm curious
> > about the name of this list. In other translation projects, the
> > main i18n list is simply [projectname-i18n], not [projectname-i18n-
> > doc].

It's a mailing list address. That's all.  It has no bearing whatsoever on the
name of the project, and in fact the list address could be
blue-rhubarb@kde.org and it wouldn't really have any bearing on anything.

> > When I first joined this list, I thought I'd made a mistake and
> > joined one specifically for the translation of documentation, and
> > would need also to join the main i18n list. Evidently this _is_ the
> > main i18n list. ;)
> >
> > Would you please satisfy my newbie curiosity by telling me why the
> > main i18n list is called i18n-doc?

Many years ago there was i18n and i18n-doc.  It just ended up that everyone
only used one of the lists for no discernible reason, just one of those
things that happens when you have almost identically the same group of people
discussing one thing in two forums.   The other got closed, and nobody ever
renamed this one.

There's nothing sinister in it, other than changing the list name now would
mean hundreds of people having to adjust filters, and who knows how many
thousands of references to discussions we've had in this list.

The list is described correctly on all the pages mentioning lists at all (if
it's not, please point out where it is not, so it can be fixed)

For similar reasons the konqueror development list is kfm-devel, and various
other odd seeming web pages and other things are still floating around.  6
years in internet time is like a century in the real world. This list name is
like one of those strange little alleys that go nowhere and for no reason
that you find in old cities, or windows that now open on to brick walls
instead of the view of a field that was there when the house was built 80
years ago.

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts