Nicolas Goutte wrote: > On Tuesday 21 June 2005 00:17, Krzysztof Lichota wrote: > >>Sebastian Trueg (author of K3b) reported that docs for my language >>(Polish) cannot be compiled (i.e. index.cache created) on some systems. >>This is, as I understand, due to missing proper entities in kdelibs 3.2 >>(they are part of kdelibs/kdoctools). >> >>This is general problem with docs I have already reported many times >>(showing more clearly with kdeextragear apps, as they support many >>kdelibs) - entities should be part of i18n module, so that they can be >>compiled together with docs. >> >>I think that expanding entites during generation of docs would solve the >>problem as there would be no external entities, but as far as I can see >>meinproc is not able to do so. > > > It depends what you called "generation". > > If you mean "writing docs", then it means returning to the old KDE behaviour, > when there were no entities in docbooks. > > If you mean "compiling", that is the time point when > kdelibs's entities are needed. (Once the doc is transformed into HTML, there > are no other entities than at most the HTML ones.) No, I mean the middle step. Currently the process of generation is as follows (as far as I understand it): Step 1 (generation)- .po and original docbook are merged into translated docbook. This step is done by translation coordinator/translator, who commits translated files to docs/ directory. Step 2 (compiling) - translated docbook is compiled using meinproc into index.cache.bz2 and docbooks/images/index.cache is installed in system. This step is done by user, who compiles and installs application in the system. Step 3 (displaying) - khelpcenter transforms docbooks using XSLT into HTML and displays them. Entities are needed in step 2 and 3. I would like to move expanding them into step 1, so that they are not necessary later. >>Any other ideas what to do with this problem? > > > Personally I would have two ideas: > > - write again author names, emails etc in full instead of using an entity for > such critical docs. (However this is also again going back to the old KDE > behaviour.) This is rather radical. I would prefer to have entites expanded automatically during generation of docbooks, as I described above. > - the translation should have the possibility to > manipulate the !DOCTYPE, so that translators can add entities there. (As far > as I know, this is not possible currently.) But it means we would have to add all possible entites to headers of all translated docbooks? It would be a lot of work to keep it consistent everywhere. I think this was the reason why common entities were introduced. Regards Krzysztof Lichota (Polish team)