List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: docs/common
From:       Federico Zenith <zenith () chemeng ! ntnu ! no>
Date:       2005-05-23 16:57:36

Alle 17:08, lunedì 23 maggio 2005, Nicolas Goutte ha scritto:
> There are *no* official translations. FSF consider that only the original
> version counts. (On the other side, there are countries where a contract in
> a foreign language, say English, do not count...)

I heard this objection before, and posed myself once on Slashdot... the
solution is that the GPL is not enforced through _contract_ law, that
requires you to understand what you are signing and physically sign, but
through _copyright_ law. I did not know it, but this is very different,
because the GPL _grants_ rights, it does not takes them back (as in the EULAs
of Microsoft and others, whose legality is instead dubious... but they have
squadrons of lawyers).

Cheers,
-Federico