List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Internationalization
From:       "R.F. Pels" <ruurd () tiscali ! nl>
Date:       2005-05-21 21:32:09

On Saturday 21 May 2005 22.59, Tom Welch wrote:

> According to the information on the signup form we say:
>
> Linspire pledges that all translations performed through IRMA, which are
> subject to any open source license agreements, will be provided to the
> open source community. However, certain software programs, or portions
> thereof, included in the Linspire operating system are subject to the
> intellectual property rights of Linspire and others. To ensure there is
> no confusion down the road, we have spelled out the translation terms in
> the Translation
>
> Then if you read further in the license agreement we state that we
> maintain the ownership of the "Licensed Software" (which would include
> software that we develop) and that included in "Licensed Software" is
> software covered by 3rd Party Licenses and that these third party
> license agreements may contain terms that expand (or restrict) your
> rights to use the software.
>
> I'm including my legal team on this email so they can review as well but
> the intent is to ensure that if we put proprietary work into IRMA from
> ourselves or other vendors that want help with translations, it can stay
> protected.

NOW do you see what my objection is? W A Y  T O O   C O M P L I C A T E D!
Too easy to create misunderstandings. And there is absolutely no reason to
keep IRMA under a proprietary reason for the matter of wanting to store
copyrighted works. Put that stuff on another server, secure it, bind people
to an NDA and be done with it.

--
R.F. Pels,  3e Rompert 118,  5233 AL  's-Hertogenbosch,  The Netherlands
+31736414590       ruurd@tiscali.nl        http://home.tiscali.nl/~ruurd