List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Reworking .pot files for kttsd
From:       Federico Zenith <zenith () chemeng ! ntnu ! no>
Date:       2005-03-05 21:50:05

Alle 16:57, sabato 05 marzo 2005, Gary Cramblitt ha scritto:
> At some point, I'd like to correct this situation, but I'm wondering about
> the impact on existing translations and timing of the change.  Someone
> mentioned that it might be possible to merge all the existing .po files
> together into a single .po (for each language).  If true, that would save
> the translators from having to re-translate kttsd.  How can that be made to
> happen?

I suppose using msgmerge. Given the various kttsd*.po files, you could launch
a script,  e.g.:

------------
#!/bin/bash
for FILE in $(ls kttsd*.po)
do
	msgmerge --no-fuzzy-matching $FILE kttsd.pot > temp_file
	mv -f temp_file kttsd.pot
done
--------------

for all the languages. kttsd.pot will in the end contain all the translations
(supposing kttsd.pot was the new empty template to begin with).

> More to the point, *who* can/should do that?

I suppose you should take contact with all translators, maybe sending a mass
mail.

> For me to do it, I  think I'd have to check out the entire kde-i18n tree,

No, it's not that bad... you only need the kdeaccessibility folder, right?

--------------
#!/bin/bash
KTTSD_LANGS
for LANG in $KTTSD_LANGS
do
	cvs co kde-i18n/${LANG}/messages/kdeaccessibility
done
--------------

This should keep your download within a sane size.

> merge the .po files
> (for each language), and commit?  What is the command(s) to do the merge?
> Or should I let each translator merge their tree?  (I don't mind doing it
> if that is ok with translators and someone can give me instructions.)

I suppose it would be better sending a message to translators first, some can
be very "possessive" about their files, and probably not all of them are
subscribed to this list.

> I assume that if I make the switch to my code in HEAD now, this will only
> affect KDE 3.5 translations, and not affect KDE 3.4.1.  True?

I think so. But you should be able to backport it to the 3.4 branch.

Cheers,
-Federico