List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Reworking .pot files for kttsd
From:       Gary Cramblitt <garycramblitt () comcast ! net>
Date:       2005-03-05 15:57:05

When I set up kdeaccessibility/kttsd, I made the mistake of creating
individual .pot files for all the various kttsd plugins and parts.  This was
a mistake for a couple of reasons:

  1.  It creates duplicates strings and therefore makes more work for the
translators, and

  2.  When I run cvs2dist, it only puts the kttsd.pot file into the resulting
tarball.  I had to make a custom version of cvs2dist to compensate.

I apologize to all the translators for this mistake.  It was caught too late
for KDE 3.4 and everyone did a nice job of dealing with it.  I was very
pleased that there are 27 translations of kttsd that made it into our debian
and SuSE packages (see my sig below).  Thanks to everyone.

At some point, I'd like to correct this situation, but I'm wondering about the
impact on existing translations and timing of the change.  Someone mentioned
that it might be possible to merge all the existing .po files together into a
single .po (for each language).  If true, that would save the translators
from having to re-translate kttsd.  How can that be made to happen?  More to
the point, *who* can/should do that?  For me to do it, I think I'd have to
check out the entire kde-i18n tree, merge the .po files (for each language),
and commit?  What is the command(s) to do the merge?  Or should I let each
translator merge their tree?  (I don't mind doing it if that is ok with
translators and someone can give me instructions.)

I assume that if I make the switch to my code in HEAD now, this will only
affect KDE 3.5 translations, and not affect KDE 3.4.1.  True?

FWIW, here are all the .pot/.po filenames for kttsd:

kttsd
kttsd_commandplugin
kttsd_eposplugin
kttsd_festivalintplugin