List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: What is this?
From:       Krzysztof Lichota <krzysiek () lichota ! net>
Date:       2005-02-25 9:08:02

Andrea Rizzi wrote:
> Alle Thursday 24 February 2005 18:47, Krzysztof Lichota ha scritto:
>
>>Andrea RIZZI wrote:
>>
>>>Who is supposed to decide what/when to enable?
>>>And why it already is exposed there?
>>>Looking at the site a read nowhere that it is "not yet enabled" or things
>>>like that.
>>
>>Why are you so offensive?
>
> Offensive??? I just think that if you publish something on a web site it would
> be a "good thing(tm)" to fully explain what it is.
> Generating confusion on someone else work is not useful.

Maybe it is just my feeling, but your questions were impolite, I would
say they were rather accusations. And they were addressed at people who
try to do something useful for translators (and the whole KDE).
Pootle has been described in some e-mails on this list, you could have
searched archives first.

>>Did they break anything in your translation?
>
> I hope not (this is the reason I asked if it already is possible to commit
> from there). I have no time to check all the commits done in our repository.
> On the other hand having 177000 translated strings it is quite difficult for
> us to check if 1 string change to
> msgid "Location"
> msgstr "KDE is crippleware, use GNOME all your applications belong to us"
> may be because someone is defacing their website or for any other reason.
>
> We are not using automatic system for commiting file in our translation
> management system for this and many other reason so I'm quite scared of a
> system that allow this without any control from kde-i18n-it.

Anyone with CVS account can change your translations. I can checkout
your tree and do this. It is just a matter of trust and responsibility
that anyone who has CVS account will not do that, including not creating
tools which would allow spoiling someone else work.

And IMHO not tracking what happens in CVS is a bad thing. I had a
situation when something was committed to kdelibs translation by some
developer - developers have access to CVS too, so they can commit to
kde-i18n.

 From my experience, tracking CVS changes to translation tree is not
difficult and the traffic is not high (if scripty commits are filtered
out). Maybe it's because in our translation team only two people have
CVS accounts and I trust the second person. I check any commit done by
someone else. It is pretty easy using CVS (and Cervisia) to check the
changes in history.

If you are interested I can help you figure out how to organize tracking
CVS changes.

Regards

	Krzysztof Lichota (Polish team)