List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: KTTS
From:       Gary Cramblitt <garycramblitt () comcast ! net>
Date:       2005-02-16 13:18:02

On Tuesday 15 February 2005 08:19 am, Federico Zenith wrote:
> Alle 02:41, martedì 15 febbraio 2005, Marek Laane ha scritto:
> >
> > PS.
> > Strings you quoted (loud, soft, medium etc.) are in other places (i.e.
> > POT-files), too. Maybe You can just extract them into one (existing)
> > file, in that case there will be maybe only some if any new strings?
> > (It may be case for other files, too - by now You've some twenty
> > POT-files with more than 500 strings but many of them are same in
> > different (output) files - why not just extarct them, say, in three or
> > four POT-files?)
>
> I agree totally - there are way too many kttsd files around, and it's too
> easy to forget to translate a new one that appears. It is also more
> difficult to maintain consistency.
> A single kttsd.po file would be better, but I would say this has to be done
> AFTER the KDE 3.4 tag - otherwise, we break everything (unless we run a
> merger script on all the translations in the whole repository, but I would
> not risk anything so close to the release).
>
> Cheers,
> -Federico

When I do "cvsdist kdeaccessibility kttsd --version 0.3.0", it only copies the
"kttsd.po" files into the resulting tarball.  So not only is having
multiple .po files more work for the translators, it is more work for me as
well.

As the only active programmer on KTTS, it has been a frustrating experience
trying to properly prepare it for translation.  I read the online docs but
couldn't understand how to apply them to KTTS.  I asked several times months
ago in the kde-devel mailing list, but no help was forthcoming.  Everyone too
busy with their own problems, I suppose.

I would write a beginners article for quality.kde.org, based on my
painfully-learned experience, but I assume everything will change for KDE
3.4?

--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)
KDE Text-to-Speech Maintainer