List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Add Russian voice to KTTS
From:       Gary Cramblitt <garycramblitt () comcast ! net>
Date:       2005-02-05 8:05:27

On Saturday 05 February 2005 01:28 am, Gregory Mokhin wrote:
> Gary Cramblitt wrote:
> > The attached patch adds support for Russian voice to Festival in KDE
> > Text-to-Speech system (kdeaccessibility/kttsd).  Since this merely adds
> > an additional translation string (Name = Russian Male), is OK to commit?
>
> Yes. my question is: is it functional? Does festival has Russian support?

I don't speak Russian at all, but yes, it appears to work.  If you care to
check it out, the voice can be downloaded from

  http://nshmyrev.narod.ru/festival/festival.html

Their server is slow, so be patient and use a downloader that can resume, such
as KGet.  You need Festival 1.95 beta.  Untar the russian voice to
festival/lib/voices/russian/ directory.  Any words it does not recognize it
says "unpronouncable word" (in Russian), I believe.

Also, if someone could translate the info on this page for me, I'd be
appreciative.  I just downloaded the tarball and tried it, and with the right
encoding (KOI8-R), it seemed to work.

> > Finally, I've set the default encoding to KOI8-R.  Is there a "better"
> > choice for default encoding for Russian text?
>
> UTF-8 is default encoding for Russian in KDE. Why use KOI8-R?

Festival does not support UTF-8, I'm afraid.  They are promising support for
that in the future.  The encoding setting is for sending text from KTTS to
Festival.  Within KDE, including text sent to KTTS, you can continue to use
Unicode.

--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)
KDE Text-to-Speech Maintainer