List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: IRMA
From:       Christopher Fynn <cfynn () gmx ! net>
Date:       2005-01-30 17:02:21

On Saturday 29 January 2005 14:29, Rinse de Vries wrote:

 > My question, Wat is kde's opinion about this?
 > Does enyone know how linspire wants to merge their translations of e.g.
 > kdevelop into kde's cvs? And how they want to avoid duplicate
 > translationefforts between IRMA and the respective
 > kde-translation-projects?
 >
 > Kind regards, Rinse

IMO it would be smart to be cautious with these people ...

For a start it looks to me like Linspire is in bed with SCO
(see: http://www.linspire.com/lindows_news_pressreleases_archives.php?id=52)

Linspire translations seem to be *only* available through their CNR service:
<http://www.linspire.com/lindows_products_categories.php?category=131>
which costs $49.95 per year or $4.95 per month.

Looking at their "Terms and Conditions" page:
<http://www.linspire.com/termsconditions.php>

Their are all kinds of gems like:
<< If you download Software from the Site, such Software is licensed on a
limited basis to you by us or the owner of such Software and is subject to
the terms and conditions of the license agreement that accompanies such
Software. Title to the Software is not transferred to you. You own the
medium on which the Software is recorded, but we retain all right, title and
interest in and to the Software, and all intellectual property rights
therein. You may not re-sell, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble or
otherwise reduce the Software to a human-perceivable form, or transfer the
Software to any third party, except as provided in the applicable license
agreement and as set forth in this Section 10 >>

<http://www.linspire.com/lindows_products_license.php>:
"The Linspire product is a mixture of open sourced code as well as
proprietary, 3rd-party licensed software."

<http://www.linspire.com/lindows_products_OSEULA.php>:
<< 2. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS.

All right, title and interest in and to the patent, copyright, trademark,
trade secret, and any other intellectual property rights in the Software,
including source code, documentation, appearance, structure and
organization, are held by Licensor and/or its licensors. You may not copy or
otherwise use the Software, in whole or in part, except as expressly
permitted in this Agreement. Title to the Software, or to any copy,
modification or merged portion of any of the Software Programs, shall at all
times remain with Licensor and/or its licensors, subject to the terms of the
applicable Third Party Agreement(s) to the Software Programs under
consideration.  >>

If you accept translations back from these people what are the terms &
conditions? Do the terms and conditions of *their license* apply?

- chris