List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Misleading entries in kdelibs.po
From:       Eduard Werner <edi.werner () gmx ! de>
Date:       2005-01-30 12:16:14

Njedźelu 30 januara 200511:41, Stephan Kulow pisaše:
> Am Sonntag 30 Januar 2005 11:57 schrieb Eduard Werner:
> > I still would be interested to know: Prior/Next what? The translation
> > might depend on that information (as gender agreement certainly does, but
> > the translator might want to add the noun as well).
>
> We won't be able to tell you. You will have to run the application to see
> if you did it right. The accelerator can be used for all kind of meaning of
> Next. Perhaps you saw these "internet keyboard" - you can bind the Next key
> to whatever you want - next mail, next music track, next girl friend in
> addressbook to call for diner. And now I ask you: what would you print on
> the Next button if you had to create a hsb internet keyboard?

Most probably an arrow of some sort pointing to the right. :-)
But this is exactly the problem: A user-friendly program should be a bit more
verbose than that. Otherwise things get very abstract (what does "Control" or
Alternate" mean to the average user?). And the application in question knows
very well what "next" or "prior" refers to since it has to react
appropriately, so it should provide this kind of information. But since
things like "Next page" or "Next file" can occur in quite a lot of
applications it might as well reside in kdelibs.po.
But maybe Funda was right in stating that something like "Next" should be
removed from kdelibs.po. But anyway, the .pot files of the individual
applications would make a translator's life much easier if they would provide
more context. I can see that this is a lot of work, though ...

Cheers

Edi