List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: IRMA
From:       Rinse de Vries <rinsedevries () kde ! nl>
Date:       2005-01-29 20:20:55

Op zaterdag 29 januari 2005 19:41, schreef Erik Kjær Pedersen:
> Lørdag 29 januar 2005 13:21 skrev Matthias Schulz:
> > I read a discussion and there was brought up that in the legal stuf is
> > something like: "...all the translations go under copyright of
> > linspire..." . There that was considered unacceptable. I did not dig into
> > that  deeper.
>
> Interesting, so they want to start from 0. Congratulations to them :-)

Not really, they want to translate linspire into about 78 languages.
That is not much different as what mandrake, suse, fedora, debian etc. do,
they also use volunteers to translate their distro into several languages.

The difference is that Linspire's effort does not stop at translating their
own software, but also filling in the gaps in the current software that is
distributed into KDE.

For example, lets say Linspire wants to translate its desktop into Frisian (my
project :o)
They will, like all other distro's use the translations of my team.
But since we don't provide a complete kde-translation, it is likely to expect
that the Frisian IRMA-team is going to provide Frisian translations of apps
like kmail, korganizer, k3b, juk, amaroK and whatever application they find
important and is not available in Frisian.
Since those applications are part of KDE's cvs, sooner or later those
IRMA-translations will find its way back to our team.

The question then is, what is the policy of translation teams for translations
that are coming from outside their project?

And how will the other teams cooperate with IRMA to avoid duplicate
translations?

Rinse