List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Dealing with extragear branches
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2004-11-24 7:59:23

On Wednesday 24 November 2004 01:05, George Staikos wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 November 2004 19:04, Federico Zenith wrote:
> > Alle 00:37, mercoledì 24 novembre 2004, George Staikos ha scritto:
> > > As I'm packaging 1.0.0 of Kst here, I'm trying to figure out how we
> > > deal with internationalization of branches or minor releases of Kst.
> > >  My understanding is that translation only happens in HEAD for these
> > > apps, right?  The issue we have is this.  We want to have concurrent
> > > bugfix (1.0.x) and feature (1.1.x) releases, where there are no i18n
> > > changes in the bugfix releases, just as KDE does.  We would like to
> > > have
> > > translations included (and even give the i18n team a chance to update
> > > translations for these releases).  How can we accomplish this if HEAD
> > > (1.1.x) has changing messages and documentation?
> >
> > Normally there are some, although few, changes in the BRANCH. If you plan
> > _absolutely_ no change, or at most removal of messages, you can always
> > use a simple tag (say, "kst_1_0_release") instead of a full-fledged
> > branch, which would make things more complicated. Then, you keep your 1.1
> > work on HEAD, and everything works as normal.
> > I think I heard that using a branch (like branch_1_6 that was used for
> > Kile) causes problems because scripty does not know of it, and does not
> > update the .po files.
>
>     Hrm, perhaps I can adjust scripty to take this into account for Kst?
> We have a kst_1_0_branch and kst_1_0_0_release tag in that branch
> presently.

No, Stephan Kulow has not wanted that more than the three current branches
(HEAD, KDE stable, KOffice stable) are processed by Scripty.

As his opposition was before I made the major changes in Scripty's scripts,
his opinion might have changed, but on the other side, Scripty can still take
nearly as much time as it did back then; it is just that normally it is much
faster now.

I had once the idea to create a sort of EXTRAGEAR_STABLE_BRANCH but I am not
sure if it would be practical.

(...)

Have a nice day!