List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: KDE translation for " =?iso-8859-1?q?L=EBtzebuerg?= "
From:       heiko.evermann () gmx ! de
Date:       2004-10-20 19:32:37

Hi Sergio,

> I have always been interested in having a KDE translation for Luxembourg (I
> should be saying "Lėtzebuerg" instead of "Luxembourg" here ...) but haven't
> run across such a beast yet.
After we had been successful starting KDE for Low Saxon (Plattdeutsch), I
asked about Frisian and Lėtzebuergish, how situation was there. I contacted
linux.lu and Thierry Coutelier prepared a mailing list linux-traduct (see
http://lilux.lu/mailman/listinfo). For a long time this mailing list was not
advertised at all.

> I have a few questions concerning this matter and hope that the list can
> provide me with answers.
>
> 1) Has anyone started a KDE translation effort for Luxembourg? I haven't
> seen any mention of such a translation effort on the i18n.kde.org pages.
No. Jang Lemmer worked on Mozilla. Translationg KDE was an interesting idea
for him, but in February he did not have the time. He wrote that it might be
possible for him to start in autumn 04, and when I have a look at my
calendar, autumn has finally arrived. So perhaps contact him. (jang at lemmer
dot lu).

> 2) Is anybody out there interested at all in having such an effort
> deployed?
>
> 3) Would there be someone willing to share the load of work required by
> such an effort (that is build and/or join a team of people interested in
> rolling this out)?
Well, I do not speak Letzebuergisch, but we made it with Low Saxon, and
perhaps I can give you some hints about how to start such a project.

> 4) I have started reading the KDE Translation Howto. Are there any other
> valuable resources out there on the web that can help me figure out the
> steps and hurdles involved in starting such a project?
Not really. You need
1) a mailing list to discuss this. This mailing list should be advertised and
have some subscribers. You will need someone to proofread your translation.
It would be best, if this could be kde-i18n-lu, but they will not give you
that unless you manage to make it over the initial threshold...
2) you have to manage 4 initial po-files. Start with them. Put the current
files on a website and discuss them in the list. Initially it might be
difficult to find others who actually do the translation. But quite a number
of people will be willing to proofread what you translate.
3) Discuss the basic vocabulary in the list. For all minority languages the
computer vocabulary tends to be a difficult area. You might be the first to
need a letzebuergish word for cache memory or  usenet group.
4) work through the po-files. Fill out what you know, leave out, what you do
not know. Ask the others in the list about the words that you don't know.
Fill the gaps step by step.
5) Over a period of 1 month (evenings only) you can manage to make the actual
translation alone. During that time you might pick up one or two others who
now see that the translation process is starting to work and who are then
willing to join.
6) Present the files to KDE and ask for inclusion into KDE.

Kind regards,

Heiko Evermann
KDE Low Saxon translation team.