List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [Idea] Translation manager
From:       Krzysztof Lichota <krzysiek () lichota ! net>
Date:       2004-09-07 21:50:03

Gaute Hvoslef Kvalnes wrote:
> Tysdag 07 september 2004 22:00 skreiv Tom Albers:
>
>>As said before, we could limit it to the branch. Then these problems
>>will not occur.
>

> I'm sorry I didn't make it clear, but my comments *did* apply to doing
> this in the branch. As long as the message freeze isn't total, English
> typos will (and should!) get fixed and holes will occur in the updated
> translations. Your suggestion requires a 100 % message freeze, which I
> don't think is a good idea at all.

It can be avoided by only *adding* new (fixed) strings on branch, while
retaining old for backward compatibility. For example:

{
	QLabel label(i18n("Wrong message"));
}
can be fixed by turning it into:
{
	QString dummy(i18n("Wrong message"));
	QLabel label(i18n("Correct message"));
}
This way both messages are preserved in newer version of code. If
someone installs newer version of translation it will work on older and
newer versions of KDE (in the same branch).

BTW. I think the best way to fix typos/style in English messages would
be to make make such fixes in PO files for en_US/en_GB not fixing the
source itself. Fixing source causes fuzzy in translation and typo in
msgid is not likely to be propagated to msgstr (unless typo is in not
translated word like "DHCP").
Later obviously such fixes can be ported to HEAD source.

Regards

	Krzysztof Lichota (Polish team)