List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [Idea] Translation manager
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2004-09-08 10:08:46

On Wednesday 08 September 2004 11:51, Jeroen Wijnhout wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 September 2004 11:44, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > >
> > > Why would that be a problem?
> >
> > Well, if a user does not have msgfmt, he must download the .mo file. So
> > not only you need a Web site where you can download the files, but you
> > must process the .po to .mo. With the quanty of .po files available, I do
> > not think that it will be a fast task.
>
> Another thing, are the .mo files portable?

I do not know.

The gettext info file describes the .mo format, as having little and big
endian magic numbers but that does not mean that one machine cannot read the
other type. Also there is a note that wchar_t is not used as it would make
the .mo files platform dependent. But does that really mean that they are
platform independent now?

> best,
> Jeroen

Have a nice day!