List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [Idea] Translation manager
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2004-09-08 9:44:27

On Wednesday 08 September 2004 10:55, Rinse de Vries wrote:
> Op woensdag 8 september 2004 09:09, schreef Nicolas Goutte:
> > Personally what I still do not like is the dependency to msgfmt, as I
> > suppose that only few real users have gettext-devel (or similar)
> > installed.
>
> Why would that be a problem?

Well, if a user does not have msgfmt, he must download the .mo file. So not
only you need a Web site where you can download the files, but you must
process the .po to .mo. With the quanty of .po files available, I do not
think that it will be a fast task.

> > And generating the .mo files means that there must be some computer
> > power. Stephan Kulow had repeatly written that Scripty was already doing
> > too much...
>
> I agree

> I don't think it is a good idea to put mo-files in cvs

In CVS, not at all, especially as they are binary files, so each version would
be stored in full.

Have a nice day!

PS.: I am also thinking that mirrors should be allowed. So this must be think
of when making the application.