List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Inconsistent use of case in acronyms
From:       Tom Albers <tomalbers () kde ! nl>
Date:       2004-08-30 15:00:35

Op maandag 30 augustus 2004 16:33, schreef Stephan Kulow:
> Am Montag 30 August 2004 14:51 schrieb Tom Albers:
> > >
> > > IMHO, "The Zip program is not installed on your computer."
> >
> > apt-get install Zip  ?
>
> You're joking, right? That's not a good error text :)

right.

My personal opinion is that in every country the use of acronyms in capitals
in the language will be different. For Dutch we watch the newspapers, etc.
and see if an acronym is common use. When it gets common use, it becomes more
or less a word and can be written in lower case, like in dvd and cd.  But I
don't know about English, so there I have no opinion.

In the end it is a decision which the language teams have to make, so
basically this is kind of a non-issue for the teams, of course not for the
English text.

In above example I would write zip in lowercase, because it refers directly to
a console command.

Tom Albers